How do you build and maintain motivation? On this episode of The Growth Equation Podcast, Brad and Steve endeavor to answer that question. First, they discuss the difference between internal motivation and external motivation and why the former sets you up for longer-lasting success. Next, they discuss the power of behavioral activation, or the ability of your actions to motivate you (as opposed to the reverse). Finally, they address the self-improvement culture, and why peak performance does not come from “hacks,” heroic efforts, and “seeing god workouts,” but rather small consistent steps over time.
Please write a review on Apple Podcasts and help new listeners discover the show!
- Does Money Really Affect Motivation? (Harvard Business Review)
- Motivation is Overrated. (Growth Eq)
- Six Principles for Mastery. (Growth Eq)
- How to Build High-Performance Habits. (Growth Eq)
- What’s Behind the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence? (Growth Eq)
- Big Goals Can Backfire. Olympians Show Us What to Focus on Instead. (Growth Eq)
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us. (Book by Dan Pink)
- Why We Do What We Do: Understanding Self-Motivation. (Book by Edward Deci)
- “Our Entire Sport is Your sport’s Punishment”- A Brief Look at Motivation and Punishment. (Science of Running.)
You can find the podcast on:
If you enjoyed this post, you'll love our new book Do Hard Things: Why We Get Resilience Wrong and The Surprising Science of Real Toughness!
For a limited time, It's over 30% Off! Get your copy today!